Friday, March 1, 2013

Fauscoum, Slievenamon, Galtymore & Knockmealdown


I've been hill walking now for just over six months and recently had a notion that I'd like to try and climb these four peaks in the one day ie touch the Trig stones or Cairns on each. I wasn't sure about how long it would take and only mentioned it to my daughter. Her response was "You're crazy!!".

I set off to do climb Fauscoum from Kilclooney Wood at 07:30 yesterday morning and was back at the car at 09:25. Headed over to Slievenamon and was walking at 10:00 and was back down at 11:15.

I was on the Black Road at 12:15, after having a bite to eat, and made it back down to the car from Galtymore at 14:35. Left the car at The Vee at 15:00 to head up Sugarloaf via the Grubb monument for Knockmealdown and was back down at 17:40.

I don't have a GPS so I'm not sure what distance or height gain was involved. Judging by the way I felt at the finish and a very rough guess from the map, I'd say it must have been about 2,200m ascent. The weather was great on the first three climbs but cold, windy and foggy on the Knockmealdowns.

Update 13th March 2013 - A club member informs me that the height gain on this challenge is 2,339m (approx)  and distance is 28.5km.

No comments: